Support provided by Trillium Foundation and Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.
About the Program
Our program “Safe Families in Safe Communities” aimed to break the systemic, psychological and socio-economic barriers, by educating girls and women on rights and emergency plans towards taking precautionary measures to live in safety.
The program “Young Women’s Safety Network” aimed at bringing girls from diverse groups in training, learning and bringing forward community issues on gender-based teen violence by looking at relevant barriers and community support systems that are available in the South Asian community. Youth from the Nancy Campbell Academy, with their dance performance, dramatically depicted the issues our communities face.
We are thankful to Toronto Police Service Division 31 for their support in utilizing their Community Room to conduct weekly workshops, meetings and events.
We are grateful to Executive Director of Jane & Finch Community Legal Clinic, Noland Merrick, as well as Uzma Akhtar, Immigration Lawyer, Elizabeth Dipchand, founder of Dipchand LLP, and Sheldon Inkol, partner of Blaney McMurtry LLP, for their contribution in assisting clients facing domestic violence, with their legal issues.Tool Kit Women Program – Download PDF
Our Successes in 2018-2019
- Awarded the Attorney General’s Victim Services Award of Distinction.
- Received the York West Centennial Citation Award for exceptional and ongoing contributions to the people and communities of York West.
- Helped over 200 women through the Reduce Abuse Program.
- Published 85 stories about domestic violence in the Gujarat Express News.
- Started an employment program that connects survivors of domestic violence to job opportunities.
- Expanded the delivery of employment and domestic abuse support services by reaching out to newcomers and caregivers in the Filipino community.
- Completed a 3-day career recruitment tour for women to join the Canadian Armed Forces.
- Provided health education to 423 people who were at-risk for developing Type 2 diabetes.
- Celebrated International Women’s Day in partnership with the City of Vaughan at Vaughan City Hall.
- Launched an arts program in Vaughan with support from the Trillium Foundation.
- Finalized a new 3-year strategic plan.
- Published “Violence Against Women All Pervading”, available in Toronto Public Library.
- Started the Breast Cancer Awareness and Prevention Program